This is the leg of Milo, a 2-year-old Labrador who unfortunately, impaled himself on a stick while playing ball in the yard. The stick went through his back left leg. On presentation to SASH, Milo was bright, alert and happy and still able to walk on the affected leg. Given these signs, his expert team, Dr Julia Sumner, Specialist Surgeon and Dr Sarah Leber, Surgery Resident, suspected a fairly superficial injury.
Upon recovery, Milo was discharged on the same day. 2 weeks post surgery, Milo had made an excellent recovery and is back living his best life!
Sticks seem like an easy alternative to a ball or chew toy, but the risk is far greater than a bit of fun. Sticks can cause infection in the mouth if chewed. If ingested they can break or splinter and cause life-threatening risk to the throat, intestines and internal organs such as the stomach and bowel. Due to their sharp shape, they can pierce or impale various parts of the body.
Always opt for the safer choice which is an appropriately sized chew toy, made with durable, clean and pet safe materials!
If your pet sustains an injury whilst playing with a stick, it’s important to seek emergency care. SASH Emergency is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.