Rosemary’s Corny Tale

One friend's experience with Radiology

Most Australians know the environmental hazards of tossing rubbish on the ground instead of the bin. But careless cases of littering can not only harm our native flora and fauna, but have deadly effects on our pets too.

Like many Cairn Terriers, six-year-old Rosemary is an inquisitive pup. While on a walk with her owner, her nose took her scavenging and much to their frustration, she was seen snuffling up something unknown.

Poor Rosemary then started to pay the price for her indiscretion. She began vomiting and stopped eating. She was treated for gastritis, but the symptoms continued, so Rosemary was taken to see Dr Phil Brain at SASH.

An abdominal ultrasound examination showed that there was no intestinal obstruction or pancreatitis present, but a suspicious structure was definitely in Rosemary’s stomach. Rosemary still wasn’t improving so the team at SASH decided to use an endoscope (flexible camera) to look at Rosemary’s stomach and this showed the cause of the problem… a corn cob.

Thankfully for Rosemary we were able to grab this with forceps guided by the scope and remove it without any need for surgery.

Dropped corn cobs are unfortunately a common opportunistic snack for unwitting dogs like Rosemary, and in her case are often just the right size to obstruct the intestines, leading to an emergency.

It just goes to show, littering is never a good idea, as even something that seems as inconsequential as a corn cob can be highly dangerous for our furry friends.

Rosemary recovering from Radiation Therapy
“Thankfully for Rosemary we were able to grab the corn with forceps guided by the scope and remove it without any need for surgery.”

Dr Phil Brain

Recent Articles

One friend’s experience with Dermatology (Most) Dogs may be covered in fur, but just because we cannot see their skin doesn’t mean they aren’t hiding

Read More »

One friend’s experience with Avian and Exotics This adorable duck named Salt, visited our SASH Avian & Exotics department when she was only a tiny

Read More »

One friend’s experience with Anaesthesia In difficult and risky surgeries, multiple specialist departments at SASH have to work together to help save patients such as

Read More »

One friend’s experience with Emergency Vomiting puppies are very common in our Emergency and Critical Care service, although cases can range from quite benign to

Read More »

One friend’s experience with Surgery Puffin is an adorable 12-year old Doberman Kelpie Cross who has had urinary incontinence for most of her life. Coming

Read More »

One friend’s experience with Ophthalmology What is one of the first things you should do when you get a puppy? Well besides a cuddle, it’s

Read More »