...
Menu
PATIENT STORIES

A sticky situation

Published on December 3, 2021.
Last Updated December 3, 2021.
ted
Ted gave his dad quite the scare when the stick he was playfully chasing, became stuck in Ted’s throat causing swelling, breathing difficulties, bleeding and distress.

Ted, a 1-year old Border Collie, gave his dad Ethan quite the scare when the stick he was playfully chasing, became stuck in Ted’s throat causing swelling, breathing difficulties, bleeding and distress for both Ethan and Ted.

Ted was taken to an emergency clinic in Newcastle, where the team stabilised Ted and gave him a blood transfusion as he was now bleeding to death.

There was concern that the foreign body was still present, due to the swelling around Ted’s face, which wasn’t improving so Ted was swiftly referred to SASH Tuggerah for further investigation.

A CT scan showed that the stick was lodged in Ted’s throat and was severing his carotid artery. Ted went straight to surgery with Specialist Surgeon, Dr Steve Fearnside and Surgical Intern, Dr. Ingrid Trommelmans. The surgery team were able to successfully remove the stick, and importantly put a stop the active bleeding by closing the hole in his carotid artery.

stick in dog
CT scan of stick lodged inside of Ted (circled)

Ted spent some time in hospital recovering with our experienced team of vets and nurses closely monitoring him 24/7. Thankfully Ted’s outcome, whilst a long and scary journey, was a great success and he slowly regained his strength with the help of our team and returned to being an energised and playful border collie.

retrived stick
The stick retrieved from Ted through surgery

Sticks might seem like an easy alternative to a ball or chew toy, but the risk is far greater than a bit of fun as they can very easily become lodged internally, and in Ted’s case can be life threatening. Sticks can cause infections in the mouth and gums and if they’re ingested they can cause havoc to the throat, intestines and internal organs such as the stomach and bowel.

Always opt for the safer choice which is an appropriately sized chew toy, made with durable, clean and pet safe materials!

About the Author

Jerry Liu

Veterinarian
SASH Favicon

SASH is home to some of Australia’s leading specialists and veterinary experts. If you have any concerns about your pet, please get in touch with us.

Tagged with:
SASH Vets
oncology book
Oncology

Promotional Space for pet owners

The purpose of this valuable resource is to act as a practical guide to assist general practitioners to diagnose cancer earlier, provide more accurate information to clients.

Related Patient Stories

Elroy, the Blood Donor Hero's emergency episode
Little Yoda had been snoring, having episodes of regurgitation/reflux, exercise fatigue from stertorous respiration, but not causing exercise intolerance
Newsletter
We only fill your inbox with happiness.

Share this page

More Patient Stories

Elroy, the Blood Donor Hero's emergency episode
Little Yoda had been snoring, having episodes of regurgitation/reflux, exercise fatigue from stertorous respiration, but not causing exercise intolerance
Toby a 1 year old English bulldog presented to SASH, having eaten a mango seed to the owner’s horror.